Friday, February 4, 2011

Threesome

Insomnia, my old friend, has decided to move back in with me.
Every night it sits cross-legged in the middle of my bed and stares.

I sip chamomile tea after dinner, try not to watch TV or open my laptop before bedtime.  Slipping in between the sheets, I try to show my insomnia how relaxed I am.  The room is equipped with whisper-quiet humidifier, books are piled high on the night table ready to be picked up, my cat is sleeping at the edge of the bed within my reach.

None of these works.  The nasty thing is back in full power, as if it has just returned from a long and perfect vacation, wherever it was.

I lie awake - my pillow is soft under my ear.  I think of some "comrades," blinking in bed like me, somewhere in the city.  I look out the window.  Sometimes the moon comes into the frame for a while.  An airplane silently flies across it with flashing lights.

The square vessel, with the three of us on it, is floating down the river of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment