Saturday, February 12, 2011

Friendship Revisited

An art gallery that D's old friend owns (or his family owns) was mentioned in The New Yorker.  When I read that - it was Thursday - I called him up and visited.   I was surprised by my own action, calling someone out of the blue and asked if I can stop by (although his place is just ten blocks away from my work)!

The last time I saw him was at D's memorial service, about which I don't really remember much.  Since then he sometimes left messages on my phone, checking in on me, for quite a while, and then the connection seemed to get lost, totally because of my self-pittying, hide-in-a-hole behavior.  I'm glad that I got to apologize to him about it.

He showed me pictures of his handsome wife and two boys, now seven and three, on his Blackberry.  Looking down at the tiny screen of his phone, he looked older, confident, and so happy.  We sat for a while and talked.  When D was mentioned, I could see his thoughts drifting to his past, and I was sure he saw mine too.

My heart was warm when I got outside into the cold February evening, and everything around me looked beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder where The Red Bed is now. I'm glad old friend B provided a welcoming, memory-spurring meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that it had that name - I still have the painting.
    Thanks Deb, I hope you have a nice day; who said it was going to be warm this long weekend???

    ReplyDelete