Saturday, January 22, 2011

Old Guilt

I just came back from a run.

Running does strange thing - after a while you forget that you are running, and that's the time buried thoughts float up to the surface like bubbles from a river bottom.  And pop! came an image, of Prospect Park, Autumn 2007.   D and I are sitting on a bench side by side eating apples and watching families strolling about.  Next to me is a pile of books from the library. 

That was a strange moment that I felt death around us, though at the time I couldn't name it.  It was more like a thin haze or dust collecting and separating us from the rest of the crowd in the park.  I wonder if that was a lingering note I sensed from what D had been touched by.  I wonder what he was seeing, sitting on the bench in the chilly Autumn afternoon. 

2 comments:

  1. I get "pops." Mostly it comes while I am doing dishes, maybe that is the one time I am focused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me think of you standing at the kitchen sink, by yourself, contemplating.

    ReplyDelete