Thursday, January 20, 2011

Be Truthful

I know yesterday's post was a bad one.  What was I doing, trying to be cute?
      Stop decorating.
      Be objective.
      Describe texture.
      Present images, not emotion.


After work I went to an art gallery in Chelsea, to see photographs by Todd Hido.  Those of empty dirt roads and motel rooms were just breathtaking.

Some shots were probably taken from inside a car, through the windshield wet with rain.  One of them:  a dead end of a dirt road, exposed by the head lights.  Tall, disturbed weeds stand thick in the center of the circular lights, and a road sign shines back with intense yellow, suggesting the driver's fright inside the car.

America's vast loneliness oozed out of those photographs and I was wrapped around by it.  I hope my words were able to show you a little hint of what his prints had given me.  I hope you and I can go see them together in February.

2 comments:

  1. Both posts are great. I know that little creature that shrieks from time to time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karin. I hope yours sleep tight tonight.

    ReplyDelete