Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The New Yorker Cover

It looks like a cherry tree standing in the middle of the dark ground. Its pink blossoms shape like symbol of nuclear plant/power; some petals are being blown away.  The picture is called "Dark Spring."

It's the cover of March 28th issue of The New Yorker.  I was so disturbed by it I had to send a complaint e-mail to the editor.  To me, the picture was suggesting something like, "hope contaminated".

Cherry blossoms are very special to many Japanese, and the season is about to come to the affected area.  Everyone there, I'm sure, is looking forward to seeing them.  After the long winter,  Cherry blossoms come as a sign of life - make people who gather under the tree giddy and happy.

I may be overreacting, I may feel differently tomorrow, but I wish that The New Yorker didn't pick the picture for its cover.

2 comments: