Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dead Birds

In Manhattan, in the last few days I saw, though it may sound so strange, what looked like a sandpiper, dead.  I saw a dying pigeon as well.  I remembered D had written about dead pigeons -- so I dug it out.   It's short, but here it is.  
___________________________________________________________

Since this cold snap began I've seen four dead pigeons.  One, in the middle of Ninth Avenue and Forty-Fifth Street, looked like an emblem of a pigeon.  

Another, I saw the day before it died.  Walking to the subway on the first really cold day, on my way to work, I saw a pigeon which limped wretchedly and didn't get out of my way when I passed it.  The next morning I saw it again, dead.  It was in the same spot I had seen it the day before, only its head was leaning against the wall of the Democratic Social Club.  


No comments:

Post a Comment