Saturday, December 4, 2010

Spirits in words spoken

There's a word in Japanese "Kotodama," meaning, the spirits in spoken words.  In ancient Japan it was believed that words you speak have special power and can bring you blessings or bad fortune.  I've also heard that, when you strongly believe what you say, your voice would contain some special overtone that makes the words penetrate people.  

D's Mom and I went to a neighborhood church last Sunday; it was the first Advent Sunday.   The words spoken there certainly seemed to have Kotodama in them because I was choking even though I didn't understand half of what they said.   

 I felt relief for being closer to the dead but at the same time very uneasy especially when everyone sang and chanted.  I couldn't say one syllable of the words written in the book - as if, even in a whisper, it would fill the church and reveal my inside full of doubts. 

D wrote on a cardboard box, I think shortly before he died, "I BELIEVE IN GOD," in capital letters.


No comments:

Post a Comment